CAH Lincoln Theatre Rental Underwriting Support
The DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities (CAH) provides underwriting support for venue rental for the Lincoln Theatre at 1215 U Street, NW, which is operated by “It’s My Theatre” (IMT) subject to its funding availability. Annually, CAH provides a limited number of days of support to nonprofit entities (applicants). CAH pays IMT directly for the venue rental cost for approved uses.
CAH provides two levels of rental support to community member applicants, dependent on whether the applicants are utilizing the Lincoln Theatre as a free community event or as a program with any portion of paid admission.
- For applicant organizations requesting Lincoln Theatre underwriting support for FREE events and open to the general public, CAH will pay the applicable venue rental costs up to three (3) days of any use.
- For applicant organizations requesting underwriting support for an event with any portion of tickets PAID, and open to the general public, CAH will pay the applicable venue rental costs up to two (2) performance days. No underwriting support would be provided for load-in/out or rehearsal only days.
CAH’s Lincoln Theatre rental underwriting program does not cover expenses or services beyond venue rental, including but not limited to: security, marketing, promotion, ticketing, house management, production and technical services, equipment rental, permits, valet, theatrical design, catering, etc. The applicant, if approved, will be required to enter into separate agreements with CAH and IMT, and IMT will advise the applicant as to any expenses or services required under their agreement.
Applicants must demonstrate proof of liability insurance in the amount of $2M for their intended use at the time application and shall protect all those who are occasioned in their event.
Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate opportunities for the public, disabled, and underserved populations to participate and be engaged, whether through a share of complimentary tickets (3% of adjusted house capacity minimum.), open rehearsals or other mission-related community engagement programming, through the use of the theater.
Organizations eligible to apply must:
- Be incorporated as a nonprofit, with a designated tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3) or 501(c)6 of the United States Internal Revenue Code and District of Columbia tax exempt certification for at least one (1) year prior to the time of application;
- Have principal offices that are located in the District of Columbia, as demonstrated by the address on the organization’s official 990 form (P.O. Boxes are not acceptable addresses);
- Be in good standing with CAH should a previous financial relationship exist; and,
- Obtain a Clean Hands certificate from the District of Columbia Government, Office of Tax and Revenue.
- Be a District Government agency
Additionally, applicants must not have previously placed a reservation with IMT for the date(s) in which rental underwriting is requested.
In order to allow a greater diversity of use, rental underwriting support is at the discretion of CAH and may not result in repeated annual use by any single applicant. Applicant organizations requesting support for the same event date each year will hold no priority.
Each year, the rental underwriting support application period will begin on July 1 (or the next business day) for the period beginning October 1 to September 30. Applications received prior to July 1 for the subsequent fiscal year will not be accepted. Only electronic requests (by email) will be accepted and shall be time stamped by the date of the receiver’s (a CAH employee) email receipt time.
After August 1, Applicants may submit the Request Form at their convenience through June 30 of the following year. Applicants are highly encouraged to submit the Request Form no later than three (3) months prior to the requested first usage date. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis by an advisory review panel consisting of CAH staff monthly and ranked based on artistic content, organizational capacity and District impact and community engagement. The highest ranked applications will be recommended to receive rental underwriting support. Responses will be provided to the Applicant within thirty (30) days of receipt of the application.
Applicants are limited to receive rental underwriting support once per fiscal year, based on availability.
All applications must be submitted to Derek Younger at [email protected]