The Business of the Arts program aims to provide knowledge and skills through resources and workshops. It has focused on fundraising and development, marketing and public relations, as well as legal concerns and entrepreneurship. Free workshops and seminars are led by accomplished professionals and subject matter experts.
Unless otherwise noted, workshop facilitators are independent professionals, not employees or affiliates of CAH or the District of Columbia government. The views expressed are their own and not necessarily those of CAH or the District of Columbia government.
- Creating a Nonprofit Presentation
- DC's Permitting Process Presentation
- Financial Literacy Presentation
- Legal Issues for Artists Live Streaming Presentation
- Starting a Business in DC Presentation
- Trademark Basics Presentation
*There are currently no future workshops anticipated at this time.
For additional inquiries, please send an email to [email protected].
Past Workshop Recordings*
*Please note that information and best practices shared in the recordings below may be dated. Viewers are asked to exercise their judgment as to how applicable any recording is to the current day.
- Methods and Materials Workshop - An Arts Conservation Perspective
- View Recording, from Noon to 1:30 pm, on Wednesday, July 12, 2023
- Public Art as Community Development
- View Recording, from Thursday, April 20, 2023
- The DC Permitting Process
- View Recording, from Thursday, April 13, 2023
- How to Develop Your Next Public Art Project: From RFP to Completion
- View Recording, from Thursday, March 30, 2023
- Becoming A Certified Business
- View Recording, from Wednesday, April 20, 2022
- Tools for Entrepreneurs
- View Recording, from Wednesday, March 23, 2022
- How To Develop an Art Exhibition and Pop Up
- View Recording, from Wednesday, February 9, 2022
- Keeping Community Connected: Virtual Technology Roundtable
- View Recording, from Wednesday, April 7, 2021
- Arts Organizations and Resilience: Sustaining Staff in Times of Crisis
- View Recording, from Wednesday, March 24, 2021
- New Realities: Navigating E-Commerce in the Arts
- View Recording, from Wednesday, March 10, 2021
- Building Access to Public Art Placemaking
- View Recording, from Wednesday, February 24, 2021
- Accessibility and Inclusion in the Arts
- View Recording, from Wednesday, February 10, 2021
- Legal Issues for Artist Live Streaming
- View Recording, from Wednesday, January 27, 2021
- The District's Landscape for Artists
- View Recording, from Thursday, October 29, 2020
Bruce Willen with Neighborhood Design Center + Tim Scofield Studios, Chairs, 2020.
CAH Civic Commission, Playable Art In partnership with DC Office of Planning. This project was through an Art Place America Grant, and the DC Public Library. Anacostia Neighborhood Library, 1800 Good Hope Road SE.