The DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities will present the 27th Annual Mayor's Arts Awards on Thursday, September 13, 2012 at 6:30 pm at the Historic Lincoln Theatre. In addition to revealing the winners in five arts and three teaching categories, the program will feature performances by acts including the Poem-cees, Nistha Raj, Christylez Bacon, Rev. Nolan Williams, National Hand Dance Association, and the African Heritage Dancers and Drummers. Honorees for this year’s event will be Melvin Deal, Paul Jorgensen and George Stevens Jr.
The Mayor's Arts Award is the highest honor conferred by the District of Columbia in recognition of artistic excellence and service among artists, arts organizations, and arts patrons in the city.
"The Commission is proud to present the Mayor's Arts Awards to honor the District's premier individual artists, arts organizations and patrons of the arts," said Lionell Thomas, Executive Director of DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities. "The diversity of artistic excellence displayed in this year’s nominees highlights our city's rich artistic and cultural heritage."
This year’s awards will be presented in the following categories: Excellence in an Artistic Discipline, Excellence in Service to the Arts, Innovation in the Arts, Outstanding Contribution to Arts Education, Outstanding Emerging Artist and Mayor's Award for Arts Teaching (visual, performing and language arts). Finalists were chosen by the Mayor's Arts Awards Advisory Jury comprised of prominent members of the District's arts community with expertise in dance, music, theatre, literary arts, visual arts and arts education.
RSVPs are not required but encouraged. Seating is distributed on a first come, first served basis. To reserve seats, please visit www.mayorsartsawards.eventbrite.com. For additional information on the Mayor's Arts Awards or other DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities programs, please call (202) 724-5613.
Finalists for the 27th Annual Mayor's Arts Awards:
Excellence in Artistic Discipline
- City Arts, Inc.
- Embassy Series
- The DC Jazz Festival
- Step Afrika! U.S.A., Inc.
- The Phillips Collection
- Thomas Circle Singers
Excellence in Service to the Arts
- Atlas Performing Arts Center
- Environmental Film Festival in the Nation’s Capital
- The Dance Institute of Washington
- Washington Performing Arts Society
- Washington Project for the Arts, Inc.
- Innovation in the Arts
- Art Enables
- Foto DC, Inc.
- Life Pieces to Masterpieces
- Post-Classical Ensemble, Inc.
Outstanding Contribution to Arts Education
- Capitol Hill Arts Workshop
- Capitol Letters Writing Center
- Critical Exposure
- Free Minds Book and Writing Club
- The Washington Ballet
Outstanding Emerging Artist
- Bohemian Caverns Jazz Orchestra
- Cultural Development Corporation
- DC SCORES
- John Moletress
- The Studio Theatre
- Tommy Taylor
Finalists for the 27th Annual Mayor's Award for Arts Teaching:
- Daniel Foley – St. Coletta School
- Dawn Johnson – Kipp DC
- Jennifer Sonkin – Cesar Chavez Public Charter School
- Jose Cuevas - Capital City Public Charter School
- Kenneth Dickerson – Roosevelt Senior High School
- Koye Oyedeji – Duke Ellington School of the Arts
- Miriam Cutelis – Murch Elementary School
- Premila Mistry – E.L. Haynes Public Charter School