Request for Qualifications:
Deadline: Friday, May 10, 2013 at 5 pm
Budget: $3,000-$13,500 per mural
The DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities (DCCAH) in collaboration with the DC Department of Public Works (DPW) seeks graffiti artists and artist teams to design, create and install aerosol murals that inspire the various communities in which they will be placed. Selected artists will be required to work with the young apprentices (ages 14-23) by introducing and refining each student’s artistic skill in the discipline of graffiti style sketch work and aerosol mural painting.
MuralsDC was created to replace illegal graffiti with artistic works, to revitalize sites within communities in the District of Columbia, and to teach young people the art of aerosol painting. This initiative aims to positively engage the District’s youth by teaching proper professional art techniques, providing supplies, and a legal means to practice and perform their artistic skill in a way that promotes respect for public and private property and community awareness.
The three platforms on which the MuralsDC project is based are:
- Illegal Graffiti Abatement
- Youth Outreach
- Community Revitalization
There are currently 41 MuralsDC projects across the District. Each mural tells a unique story of DC’s diverse neighborhoods while deterring further illegal graffiti.
To view past murals, visit www.muralsdc.org
Lead Artist Consultant
Words Beats and Life is a private, non profit 501(c)(3) organization that transforms individual lives and whole communities through the training in and presentation of the core elements of hip-hop culture by giving emerging artists access to Master Level artists who have a connection to the community.
All Final Artists will enter into an agreement with Lead Artist Consultant, Words Beats and Life for the design and installation of the Mural.
Site selections are based on areas of the District with high incidence of illegal graffiti as identified by the DPW, Mayor’s Office of Community Relations and Services (MOCRS) other agencies and site owners.
Scope of Services:
All Applicants will:
Submit an application to include an:
- Application Form (see PDF below)
- Past Work Samples
- Annotated Image List (see PDF below)
- Artist Bio and/or Artistic Resume
- 2 Professional References
This commission is open to Graffiti and Aerosol Mural Art Artists and Artist Teams. All Artists must:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Have Graffiti and or Aerosol Mural Art experience.
- Be a practicing professional.
- Be in good standing with the MuralsDC program.
Note: Preference will be given to District of Columbia Artists.
Budget & Payments:
Depending on site dimensions, the total budget for each mural will range from $3,000 to $13,500.
- The mural budget must include all artist fees and costs associated with design, fabrication, travel, transportation to the site, insurance, permits, installation, graffiti protective coating, working with young people and documentation of the artwork.
- The overall project budget includes the artist’s design fees, compensation and travel expenses, all materials and fabrication costs, shipping and transportation of materials to the site, preparation of mural site, installation of the artwork, application of protective coating, and any applicable taxes and/or insurance.
- Payments will be made directly to Final Artists. Principals and fiscal agents of any kind are prohibited.
Funds under this program may not be used to fund colleges, universities, or other government agencies.
DCCAH will convene a MuralsDC Artist Selection Panel, representing diverse interests and expertise, to review the qualifications of artists who respond to this call. The MuralsDC Artist Selection Panel will review submitted past work samples and artistic bio’s/resumes and then select Final Artists to participate in the project.
Artist selection will be based on artistic merit, community impact and managerial capability using the following evaluation criteria of:
- Quality and strength of past work as demonstrated in the submitted work samples.
- Experience working with community in some capacity
- Adaptability to the collaborative process of design
- Demonstrated knowledge of the unique consideration of exterior murals
- Ability to create a unique and engaging artwork appropriate in concept, materials and scale.
- Availability to complete work by September 2013
Selected Participants & Final Artists:
Selected participants will be placed on a roster based upon selection criteria and availability of sites. Placement on the roster does not guarantee participation in the program.
Selected Final Artists will enter into an agreement with Lead Artist Consultant, Words Beats and Life for the design and installation of the Mural.
Application Form (see PDF below)
10 digital images of at least five different previous works submitted on a CD (jpg or tiff files only).
Artist Teams: all participating design members should submit examples of their past work; group submission should not exceed 20 digital images.
Annotated Image List (see PDF below)
A printed sheet of information with artist’s name, contact information, artwork titles, mediums, date of artworks, sizes and the corresponding image numbers in order as seen on CD.
- Artist Bio or Resume (2 pages maximum) of all participating members.
2 Professional References
Provide names, addresses and phone numbers to who have great knowledge of your work
Tentative Project Schedule
May 10, 2013
Mid May 2013
Application Review and Selection of Final Artists
Mid - Late May 2013
Early- Mid June 2013
Mural Concept Designs Begin
Early-Mid July 2013
Final Approval of Mural Designs
Installation of Artwork
Program Dedication / Culminating Event
Application Deadline: Friday, May 10, 2013
All materials must be received no later than 5 pm.
This is not a postmark deadline. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Submit complete applications to:
Keona Pearson, Public Art Program Coordinator
DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities
200 I Street SE
Washington, DC 20003
For more information:
Call (202) 724-5613 or email [email protected]